Gorgas House Museum
Built in 1829, the Gorgas House Museum is the oldest structure on the University of Alabama campus. Originally serving as the student dining hall, campus hotel, and residence for the university’s steward, it is one of only four current buildings on campus to survive the burning of the university by Union troops in 1865. Named for the Gorgas family which occupied the home from 1879-1953, the museum houses original Gorgas furnishings, memorabilia, and a collection of 19th-century artifacts. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.
Admission is $2. To schedule a group tour or for museum rental information, please call 205-348-5906. The Gorgas House Museum is located at 810 Capstone Drive and is closed on all University of Alabama holidays. Visit the museum website at http://gorgashouse.ua.edu.