The McGuire-Strickland House
This raised Creole cottage in the Greek Revival style was built by Moses McGuire, Tuscaloosaâ€™s first probate judge. The McGuire-Strickland home is most famous for its wood frame structure which is believed to be the oldest wooden structure in Tuscaloosa. The hand work shows early Alabama workmanship with locally cut and prepared pine of which some pieces predate the Revolutionary War.
McGuire-Strickland Home 1800’s
McGuire-Strickland home in the Late 1800â€™s
In the 1850â€™s the house was acquired by the Tuscaloosa Presbyterian Church as a manse. The church later sold the property to the Milton Strickland family in 1866. The house remained in the Strickland family until 1969 when it was given to the Tuscaloosa Preservation Society for relocation and restoration. At the time the Preservation Society director was W.B. Bankhead, who was married to Florence McGuire, a great-granddaughter of Moses McGuireâ€™s brother John McGuire.
The structure was relocated by The Tuscaloosa Altrusa Club, who were the main fund raisers for the project, beside Capitol Park. The structure is currently used as the offices of the Capitol School.