Things To Do
West Alabama surprises visitors with its abundance and variety of museums, galleries and other attractions like these. Click here for a full brochure of 101 Things to Do in Tuscaloosa.
Alabama Museum of Natural History
6th Ave. Smith Hall, University of Alabama Campus
Hours: 10:00 am – 4:30 pm Tuesday-Saturday.
Experience the natural diversity of Alabama, view collections of geology,mineralogy, history, and paleontology. See the Hodges meteorite, the only meteorite known to have struck a human being. After-hour rentals, special programs and tours are available.
AMF Bama Lanes
520 15th Street
Offers 32 bowling lanes and is available for both league and tournament play.
Bama Belle Riverboat
1 Greensboro Ave.
Located in the Black Warrior RiverWalk Park. The Bama Belle is a modern day replica of the grand paddlewheel river-boats which graced the Black Warrior in the 1900′s. Today, you can experience the same magical, romantic, nostalgic celebration of the American spirit on the Bama Belle. The Bama Belle provides an exquisite setting for sightseeing & dinner cruises. Charters for private parties, business meetings or holiday celebrations are also available. Capacity- 200 passengers.
600 Greensboro Ave
The oldest operating theatre in Tuscaloosa. In 1938, the Bama Theatre served as the community’s grand movie house, as well as the only air conditioned building at that time. The Theatre was one of the last movie palaces built in the South. The building is an odd but interesting mixture of Art Deco style, popular during the period and the lavish so-call “atmospheric” style of theatre architecture popular in the 1920′s. The interior is decorated in the Moorish style of Renaissance Spain. The house of the theatre is actually a reproduction of the courtyard of the Davanzati Palace of Florence, Italy. The entire orchestra and balcony sections are decorated as a Spanish courtyard, complete with balconies and ironwork. Twinkling stars and clouds on the night sky ceiling complete the open-air feel of the performance hall.
Battle-Friedman House and Gardens
1010 Greensboro Ave.
Hours: Tues. – Sat., 10-12 and 1-4, closed Sunday. Also available for private tours.
Admission charged. The elaborate architectural details and historic furnishings offer a glimpse back to the early 1800′s. Alfred Battle built the home in 1835 with a servant’s house, carriage house and grounds. It once occupied the entire block of what was then Tuscaloosa’s main residential street. The two-story house was built with brick walls 18 inches thick. The house is now maintained by the Tuscaloosa County Preservation Society as a social and cultural center.
Black Warrior Model Railroad Society
725 25th Ave., Northport
Open every Saturday, 9-12. See five running tracks with scenery and continuously updated displays. Located in the historic Northport Train Depot. Come and see the old caboose out front. No admission charged.
Home of the University of Alabama Crimson Tide, 14 time national champions. Seating capacity is approximately 101,000, keeping it among the largest on-campus football stadiums in the nation. Today’s structure includes 123 skyboxes as well as a pair of large video scoreboards in the north and south end zone and wrap-around display boards, situated on the facades of the east and west upper decks. Special rooms for scholarship donors as well as the A-Club are featured sections of the inner area of the east side and were added during the expansion in the 1990s.
University and 28th St.
The grounds of this park were once the site of the Alabama State Capitol when Tuscaloosa was the seat of state government from 1826 to 1846. Today, a visible reminder of the old capitol building, which burned in 1923, is the stone foundation and columns at the site. Also on the park are two relocated historic structures, the Old Tavern (1827) and the McGuire-Strickland house (1820), the oldest standing wood frame structure in Tuscaloosa.
Capstone Club of Alabama Golf
I-20/59 Exit 86
Experience a $13 Million Gil Hanse Masterpiece. This award winning course & Clubhouse make an ideal location for golf with friends or your next golf outing.
Children’s Hands on Museum (CHOM)
2213 University Blvd.
Hours: Mon. – Thurs. 9 – 5, Friday 9-8:30 p.m. and Sat. 10-4. Closed Sundays and major holidays.
Admission charged. Learn through play! The whole family can become part of a child’s world. Three floors of fun offer 17 hands-on exhibits including Planetarium shows, a historic reconstruction of 1800′s shops from Tuscaloosa; a 1700′s Choctaw Indian Village; DCH Hospital; the Captain Tim Parker Towboat; and art studio with music, dance, drama and visual arts; Once Upon a Farm; a Japanese House and much more!
Cobb Theater- Hollywood 16 Cinemas
4250 Old Greensboro Road
Cobb Theatre is designed to provide guests with the highest-quality audio and visual presentation, unsurpassed comfort and outstanding customer service.
University Blvd., University of Alabama Campus
Named after former University President George Denny, the tower was constructed in 1929, and then restored in 1986. This landmark is home to the “Football Walk of Fame”, with hand and footprints of legendary Alabama players.
Dinah Washington Cultural Arts Center
Opening Fall 2012
7th Street and Greensboro Avenue
The Arts Council is in the process of restoring the former Allen Jemison building in downtown Tuscaloosa. This historic building will be transformed into the Dinah Washington Cultural Arts Center (CAC). The CAC will be a hub for the arts in Tuscaloosa. Plans include a black box theatre/workshop space for family programs, educational opportunities, rehearsals or community meetings. In addition, the CAC will house offices for local art groups, artist studios and galleries for The University of Alabama.
First African Baptist Church
2621 Stillman Blvd.
The congregation was organized in November 1866 and met elsewhere until the present church was built in 1907. Built entirely by men of the church, the interior features many stained glass windows. Led by pastor T.Y. Rogers, the First African Baptist Church was the center of important civil rights activities in Tuscaloosa during the early 1960′s.
First Presbyterian Church
900 Greensboro Ave.
This neo-Gothic church was built in 1921 by Tuscaloosa’s earliest Presbyterian congregation on the site of its original building. (The congregation had been formed in 1830). The church features a variety of antique European craftwork. Some of the unique items include a 15th century French pulpit, 15th century German and Flemish stained glass and a 16th Century Italian baptismal font.
Off 6th Avenue, University of Alabama Campus
Foster Auditorium was completed in 1939 as a multipurpose facility with a seating capacity of 5,400. It has been used for graduation exercises, indoor athletic events, concerts, lectures, and is now the permanent home to the University of Alabama women’s basketball and volleyball teams. Foster Auditorium is the site of Alabama Gov. George C. Wallace’s “stand in the schoolhouse door” on June 11, 1963, when two African-American students, Vivian Malone and James Hood enrolled at UA.
7th St. and 22th Ave. SE.
Located between the intermodal facility, City Hall and the new federal courthouse Government Plaza adjoins the Intermodal Facility and includes a block and a half of green space complete with a lighted walking trail, pavilion, fountain and other park amenities. The park is located in downtown Tuscaloosa between the Intermodal Facility, City Hall and the new Federal Courthouse.
9th St. and 27th Ave. SW.
One of the oldest cemeteries in Tuscaloosa, having been laid out shortly after the first survey of the city of Tuscaloosa in 1821. Many graves of early Tuscaloosa’s most prominent citizens are here. Admission is free, sunrise to sunset. Included on the Historic Tuscaloosa Driving Tour. Pick up your copy at the Tuscaloosa Tourism and Sports Commission.
Capstone Drive, University of Alabama Campus
Hours: Mon.-Fri. 9-4, closed Saturday. Built in 1829, the Gorgas House is the oldest building on the University of Alabama campus. This was one of the buildings spared when Croxton’s soldiers burned structures on the University of Alabama campus in April of 1865.
Hidden Meadows Golf Course
13000 Old Cove Rd. Northport
18 hole course located in a valley creating a scenic backdrop of the Black Warrior River. It includes a couple of nice parks and the boat launch of the Bama Belle.
Jemison Van de Graaff Mansion
1305 Greensboro Ave.
The 1862 antebellum mansion is one of the finest remaining examples of Italianate architecture in the South. Open Mon.-Fri. 10-5, free admission (donations welcome).
Kentuck Art Center
503 Main Ave. Northport
Hours: M-F 9-5, Sat. 10-4:30. Features monthly exhibits of some of the region’s finest arts and crafts. The Gallery Shop specializes in arts and crafts by local, regional, and national artists. Visitors can observe studio artists at work around the Courtyard of Wonders.
Lake Lurleen State Park
13226 Lake Lurleen Road
Camping sites & biking trails available around a 250-acre lake.
This 5,885-acre water supply reservoir has hosted local, regional, and national fishing tournaments. Boat landings and floating docks are available and kick scooters welcome.
Leland Bowling Lanes
1125 26th Ave. East
With 32 bowling lanes, Leland Lanes is available for both league and tournament play.
The Maxwell-Peters Home
302 Main Avenue, Northport
Built in 1867, The Maxwell-Peters Home is a National Historic Home. It exhibits a unique English architecture widely used in The South but essentially lost during The Civil War and Reconstruction. Located in Historic Olde Downtown Northport, the home has been in direct descendent ownership and residence for over 140 years. One previous owner was a founding member of The American Legion in Paris following World War I. Another was a 3-time delegate to The National Republican Convention. The home is available for event rentals.
Mercedes-Benz Visitor Center and Museum
I-20/59 at exit 89 on Mercedes Drive
205-507-2252 orToll Free: 888-286-8762
There is something for everyone at the Mercedes-Benz Visitor Center and Museum. You’ll enjoy exciting multimedia exhibits, vintage automobiles and a world-class gift shop. The kids will love our exclusive video “The Big Auto Plant” that illustrates just how an M-Class is made in Tuscaloosa county.
The McGuire-Strickland House
500 28th Ave.
Located in historic Capitol Park, this wood frame raised cottage is considered to be the oldest wooden structure in Tuscaloosa. Hand-hewn beams extend the full length of the house. It is home to the Capitol School. Free admission. Tours by appointment. Limited accessibility.
Mildred Westervelt Warner Transportation Museum
1901 Jack Warner Parkway
Open Tuesday-Saturday 10-4:30.
The Mildred Westervelt Warner Transportation Museum features the transportation history of the Black Warrior River, lock and dam development, stagecoach line, horse drawn carriages, electric streetcars, bicycle history, railroad and other transportation related topics that gave rise to the City of Tuscaloosa’s development. The museum is housed in the historic Queen City Park Pool Bathhouse which was designed by architect Don Buel Schuyler, a student of world renowned architect Frank Lloyd Wright. The pool, bathhouse, fountain and bleachers were dedicated May 18, 1943 and were placed on the National Register of Historic Places in l992. The art deco and art modern styles were popular from the 1920′s to the early 1940′s. The original pool complex project was funded by the David Warner Foundation in memory of David Warner, Jr. (1916-1931) and the Work Projects Administration funds. The pool closed in the late 1980′s.
Moundville Archaeological Park
1 Mound Parkway, Moundville
205-371-2572 or 205-371-2234
Located 12 miles south of Tuscaloosa, preserves 325 acres on the Black Warrior River of what was once America’s largest city north of Mexico. During the Mississippian Period (AD 1000-1500), Southeastern Indians constructed large earthworks topped by temples, council houses, and homes of the nobility. Twenty-eight of these flat-topped pyramids, the tallest 60 feet high, survive at Moundville as remnants of a ceremonial and economic center whose trade routes extended across eastern North America. The museum contains artifacts unearthed at the site during archaeological excavations. Exhibits interpret the life ways of the natives who lived here during prehistoric times. The gift shop offers an excellent selection of books and Indian crafts. Admission charged. Grounds are open daily from 8:00 am until dusk. The museum is open daily 9:00 am to 5:00 pm from March through October and 9:00 am to 4:00 pm from November through February.
Murphy African-American Museum
2601 Bryant Drive
Hours: Tues. – Fri., 10-3, weekends by appointment. Tuscaloosa’s first African-American mortician built this two-story craftsman bungalow in the early 1920′s as his private residence. Materials from the old State Capitol building a few blocks away were salvaged and used in the home’s construction. Today, the structure operates as a museum focusing on the lifestyle of affluent African-Americans during the early 1900′s. Tours available by appointment.
Northport Heritage Museum
Park Street, Northport
Open 1st and 3rd Saturdays each month, 9 am – noon and by appointment. The Northport Heritage Museum is located next to the Northport Community Center on Park Street near Downtown Northport. This 1907 Victorian era home was the residence of the Josh Palmer family and descendants. This Museum has many exhibits and photographs detailing the history of Northport from Native American history, settlement in 1816, through the decades to today. Among the special exhibits are the A.H. Bean World Photographic Collection and the Peterson Military Uniform Collection. Group & school tours are available. The museum is closed in the event of rain.
Ol’ Colony Golf Course
401 Old Colony Road
Designed by former PGA star, Jerry Pate, this 18-hole facility features rolling fairways and beautiful, contoured greens.
P.O. Box 1665. University of Alabama Campus
Local: (205) 758-2238
The Old Quadrangle, located just north of what we know today as “the Quad,” is considerably smaller than the current Quadrangle. The site is surrounded by the first four buildings — Woods Hall, Manly Hall, Clark Hall and Garland Hall — constructed after the University was burned during the final days of the Civil War.
614 Greensboro Ave
The Tuscaloosa County Parks and Recreation Authority (PARA) operates a variety of facilities and programs, including but not limited to, parks, athletic fields, walking trails and playgrounds.
University Blvd., University of Alabama Campus
This house is an outstanding example of Greek revival architecture. It has been home to University presidents since 1841. It was one of the four buildings that survived the 1865 burning of the campus during the Civil War. Part of the Historic Tuscaloosa Driving Tour.
Jack Warner Parkway Northeast Tuscaloosa’s Riverwalk is a 3-4 mile walking/biking trail along the Black Warrior River. It includes a couple of nice parks and the boat launch of the Bama Belle.
Sarah Moody Gallery of Art
103 Garland Hall, University of Alabama Campus
Venue for contemporary art. Exhibitions annually, featuring works of important regional and national artists.
Shelton State Community College
9500 Old Greensboro Road
Shelton State Community College was established by resolution of the ASBE on January 1, 1979. That resolution combined two existing institutions: Shelton State Technical College, established in 1952, and the Tuscaloosa branch campus of Brewer State Junior College, an institution whose main campus was located in Fayette, Alabama.
512 Main Ave.,Northport
Though still in use as a private residence, this 1840 brick cottage is available for tours by appointment only.
3601 Stillman Blvd.
Tours by appointment. Stillman College was founded in 1876 to train black ministers. This private liberal arts college has a 100 acre campus that features modern facilities embraced by stately magnolia trees.
5900 McFarland Blvd. E.
Roller skating, inline skating and kick scooters welcome.
The Old Tavern
2800 28th Avenue
The Old Tavern has been a fixture in downtown Tuscaloosa since the time of the capital era. Innkeeper William Dunton built the structure in 1827 three blocks from its current site as a tavern and hotel on the stagecoach route that passed through Tuscaloosa. One of the few remaining 19th century inns in the state, the Old Tavern provides visitors with a rare glimpse of early Tuscaloosa commercial architecture. During its operation as a hostelry, it served as the temporary home and meeting place of legislators, Confederate soldiers and countless people traveling to or through the city. The Tuscaloosa County Preservation Society acquired it in 1964, relocated it and began much-needed restoration. Today the Old Tavern is a museum showcasing the early history of Tuscaloosa County. Admission is free. Hours: Tues.-Fri. 8:30-4:30. Call 758-2238 to schedule research appointments.
The Paul W. Bryant Museum
300 Paul Bryant Drive., Next to the Hotel Capstone & Bryant Conference Center
205-348-4668 Toll Free: 1-866-772-BEAR
The Paul W. Bryant Museum is now in its 22nd year of collecting, preserving and displaying the history of University of Alabama football. New this year is a complete re-landscaping of the south lawn of the museum facing Bryant Drive. New wider sidewalks, a new lighting system and redesigned plantings surround the centerpiece, a brick paver patio which features the script, Alabama “A” and the words – Alabama Crimson Tide. The Bryant Museum is open 9am-4pm daily except for holidays. Contact the museum for more information at BryantMuseum.com or call toll free 1-866-772-BEAR. You can also follow the museum on Facebook and Twitter.
River Market and Visitors Center
Jack Warner Parkway, Tuscaloosa
The River Market and Visitors Center is the future home of the Tuscaloosa Farmers Market and the Tuscaloosa Tourism and Sports Commission. In addition to the Tourism and Sports Commission offices, the plans for the 18,000 square foot building include an open area that will be used for the farmers market and as event space. The building will also be accessible from the Riverwalk, with a walking and biking trail located alongside the Black Warrior River.
The Round House
Capstone Drive, University of Alabama Campus
Built in 1860, this structure was used to shelter sentinels serving guard duty at the University as part of the military system instituted to preserve order among the students during the Civil War.
The Searcy House
714 Greensboro Ave.
This neo-classical revival house was built in 1904 by George Searcy, a prominent Tuscaloosa banker and businessman. It features a massive portico with four large fluted Ionic columns across the front. Restored in 1968 for use as offices for the County Board of Education, it is the only surviving house on that part of the once predominantly residential Greensboro Avenue.
2710 Jack Warner Parkway
Located in downtown Tuscaloosa on the banks of the Black Warrior River, the brand new Tuscaloosa Amphitheater is a 7,470 seat facility that opened April, 2011. The facility hosts numerous concerts throughout the year. Performances have already included Kenny Chesney, 3 Doors Down and Lynyrd Skynyrd. For up to date concert information, please visit their website or follow the amphitheater on twitter.
Tuscaloosa Museum of Art: Home of the Westervelt Collection
1400 Jack Warner Parkway
Facebook: Tuscaloosa Museum of Art
The museum includes the holdings of Tuscaloosa businessman Jack Warner and includes interior furnishings dating from 1700-1865. Paintings by more than 40 different artists are exhibited, including works by Edward Hopper, Mary Cassatt and John Singer Sargent. Recognized as one of the most extensive collections of 19th and early 20th century American art, the Warner Collection displays more than 150 works of art. Hours: Tues.-Fri 10-6, Sat. 11-6, Sun. 1-6. Admission charged.
Tuscaloosa Veterans Memorial Park
Located on McFarland Blvd. in front of University Mall, exhibits include the Honor Roll of Veterans Wall and the mast of the USS Tuscaloosa CA37 and other displays.
421 Queen City Avenue
Built in 1829, this house is a beautiful example of Greek revival architecture. The club once served as the Governors Mansion during the years that Tuscaloosa was the state capital.
University of Alabama
205-348-5666 or Toll Free: 800-933-BAMA
Capstone Men and Women, UA’s student ambassadors, lead campus tours Monday-Saturday starting from the South end of Bryant Denny Stadium. To reserve your place on a UA tour, call 348-5666 or email email@example.com.
University of Alabama Arboretum
Loop Road and Veterans Memorial Parkway.
Explore meadow, bog, and woodland wildflower gardens of native Alabama plants and plant communities.
2405 Bryant Drive
The YMCA offers a variety of facilities and programs year-round.