Careers at Tuscaloosa Tourism and Sports
Now Hiring: Tourism Sales Manager
The Tourism Sales Manager is responsible for effectively selling the Tuscaloosa area as a tourism destination and for achieving the sales targets and objectives of Tuscaloosa Tourism and Sports. The Tourism Sales Manager is the primary staff person responsible for actively prospecting for, soliciting, and securing client visits within the SMERF industry. He/she will perform a range of duties including generating and following up on leads, selling group visits, processing and coordinating all requests for SMERF groups, handling all group customer inquiries, producing status reports, and generating sales data. The core focus of this position is the development of sustained SMERF group attendance that meets established annual revenue and visitation goals. The position also includes working cross-departmentally to coordinate special events as needed.
The position reports directly to the CEO. Responsibilities may include the coordination or supervision of interns and clerical staff. This position requires travel and occasional weekend and after hours work.
The typical tasks described below are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the Tourism Sales Manager. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Other tasks may be assigned as needed.
- – Develop, manage, and execute a pro-active sales strategy including goal setting and performance markers.
- – Effectively solicit and sell the Tuscaloosa area as a tourism destination.
- – Research and understand client or prospective client needs and interests and match those needs and interests with the positive features and advantages of the Tuscaloosa area.
- – Develop and maintain an accurate, up-to-date, and comprehensive knowledge of the attractions and capabilities of Tuscaloosa area facilities, local attractions and points of interest, and local hotels/motels, and is able to effectively utilize this knowledge as a sales tool.
- – Develop and maintain an accurate, up-to-date, and comprehensive knowledge of the competing tourism destinations in terms of accessibility, attractions, hotels/motels, meeting room availability, and the like. Able to effectively utilize this knowledge to accentuate the positive features and advantages of the Tuscaloosa area.
- – Conduct site inspections for meeting planners, airline representatives, editors of trade publications, travel agents and tour wholesalers coordinating the inspection with sales personnel of hotels/motels, ground tour operators, and local commercial groups.
- – Develop and maintain an accurate, up-to-date, and comprehensive knowledge of client or prospective client needs and interests by researching sales files, contacts with other sales departments and travel agents, review of sales and tourism trade literature, and the like.
- – Plan, coordinate, and participate in trade shows, industry meetings, tours, sales blitzes, and site inspections to further promote Tuscaloosa as a premier destination.
- – Develop interests in the Tuscaloosa area as a tourism destination through sales presentations to prospective clients and to trade shows, by conducting familiarization tours. Make effective verbal presentations and present the positive features and advantages of the Tuscaloosa area as a premier destination clearly and convincingly. Prepare and present bid presentations.
- – Maintain sales files thoroughly documenting information relating to contacts and needs of clients or prospective clients. Assure such files are properly organized and kept up to date.
- – Execute a pro-active sales strategy to target SMERF, leisure, and motorcoach tour opportunities.
- – Execute RFPs as needed.
- – Maintain relations with all Alabama Welcome Centers. Remain engaged in their operation to capitalize on all leisure travel opportunities.
- – Support local and state level initiatives of the Alabama Restaurant and Hospitality Association and the Alabama Tourism Department.
- – Ensure a high level of customer service and excellence throughout the customer experience.
- – Maintain a high level of communication and professionalism with both internal and external customers.
- – Maintain membership in professional associations and attend all required meetings.
- – Maintain a positive and professional image and builds an effective rapport with clients or prospective clients.
- – Maintain relations with hotels, their Director of Sales, optional meeting sites, and all services related industries
- – Must be willing and able to work outside the normal 8:30 – 5:00 workday hours and on weekends, as travel, events and other aspects of the job dictate.
- – Perform other bureau-related duties and offer cross-departmental support as specified by the CEO.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- – Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Business Administration, Communications, or Hospitality related field or equivalent experience defined as a minimum of three years industry sales experience, preferably at either a convention and visitor’s bureau or hotel/resort.
- – Knowledge of the positive features and limitations of the facilities of the Tuscaloosa area, local hotels/motels, the Tuscaloosa area as well as competing convention and tourism destinations.
- – Effective selling techniques; methods for preparing and making effective sales presentations; human psychology as it relates to selling.
- – Ability to travel throughout the United States to present the Tuscaloosa area as a tourism destination.
- – Ability to maintain extremely high level of accuracy, confidentiality, and organization.
- – Personal and positive spirit, excellent interpersonal skills, analytical and problem solving skills, decision making skills, excellent verbal, written, and listening communication skills, and time management skills.
- – Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Publisher
- – Ability to work independently and be a self-starter.
EXCEPTIONAL CANDIDATES WILL POSSESS:
- – Knowledge and love of the Tuscaloosa area.
- – Experience in domestic and international group travel sales.
- – Familiarity with SimpleView CRM or comparable system.
Work performed in a modern office environment. A background check and drug testing may be required as a condition of employment.
- – Personal vehicle and valid driver’s license
- – Extensive out-of-town travel
- – Occasional night and weekend work
- – Ability to lift 40 pounds.
TTS is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, disability (mental or physical), sex, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, arrest record, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
All employees of Tuscaloosa Tourism and Sports must be permanent residents of Tuscaloosa County. Salary range is $48,000 to $53,000. All interested candidates should email a cover letter, resume, and references to email@example.com.