There are great events all over Tuscaloosa this weekend! You can start your weekend early by heading to Green Bar tonight! Exit 27 comes all the way from South Carolina to deliver some Rock to Tuscaloosa! Of course, Green Bar not only brings in great bands but also has a great atmosphere and drink menu. Located right next to Wilhagans, it is the perfect place to ease into a great weekend!
The month of September starts this Friday and with it comes the First Friday Art Walk! Local galleries, businesses, and restaurants are open in the evening for the community to experience what downtown has to offer! Venture into local galleries and businesses like the Canterbury Episcopal Chapel, and others to see their currently running exhibits like “Faces And Places Of Rabbit Holes” or “Small Curious Wonders” at University Medical Center. Take note that Art Night at Kentuck Art Center will take place next week on the 7th. As a part of their Art Night, Kentuck will be opening an exhibition by Kathryn Mayo titled “We are Selma: The Selma Portrait Project by Kathryn Mayo”.
Crimson Tide football is back this Saturday and with it comes all of the exciting festivities! The Children’s Hands-On Museum is hosting a Kid’s Tailgate Party where they can make mascot faces, spirit cookies, and will even have a concession stand! The unique museum in downtown is tailor made for the little ones, to introduce them to arts, crafts, and exciting exhibits in an interactive and exploring way! It provides fun for kids of all ages and they will never ever get the idea of calling a museum boring afterward!
You can wrap up your weekend Sunday evening at Black Warrior Brewing Company. Not only are they now pouring the One & Only Pale Ale, but they’re also hosting Jerry Robbins for some live smooth jazz and blues! There is no better way to put a bow on the perfect weekend than with smooth jazz and a One & Only beer!
We have tons more going on so check out our great upcoming events, and follow us on our social media pages (@visittuscaloosa) for more announcements and events. Tell your friends and we can’t wait to see you around the One and Only Tuscaloosa!
Top places to sit on a porch
As I was sitting on a porch drinking a beer, watching the sun set on the beautiful city of Tuscaloosa, I realized that it doesn’t get much better than this. So I decided to make you all a list of my top 3 favorite porches to drink a beer on, as well as some honorable mentions.
- Loosa Brews – Loosa’s porch game has been stepped up since they opened. It has tons of table and bar style seating! It’s partly shaded and fully awesome! With 63 beers on tap there’s a beer and a chair for everyone!
- Taco Mama – Taco Mama’s porch faces out onto University drive so weather you’re there to sunset watch or people watch, there’s a sitting activity for every personality! Not only that, but they serve beer and margaritas. So if you’re not huge on the beer scene, you’ve still got a place on their porch!
- R & R Cigars – This porch is the sleeper of the trio because not many people take advantage of this incredible honey hole! R & R is a remodeled Victorian home with a huge front porch and plenty of comfortable seating to drink a beer, smoke a cigar, and watch your favorite game on tv.
- Honorable mention – 301 Bistro – In front of their entrance is the Beer Garden. With communal seating, and a blossoming garden encompasses this oasis in downtown. The menu is the same but with the added feature of the outdoor bar. On Sundays they feature a New Orleans brunch with live music and mimosas.
- Honorable Mention – Innisfree – Innisfree’s porch is another phenomenal place to kick back and drink a cold one. They have plenty of seating and great TVs to catch a game on! With a wide selection of drinks, they have something for the whole crew!